The Underground
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nevermore

Go down

Nevermore  Empty Nevermore

Post by Epsilon Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:29 am

But the raven, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only
That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.
Nothing further then he uttered- not a feather then he fluttered -
Till I scarcely more than muttered, "other friends have flown before -
On the morrow he will leave me, as my hopes have flown before."
Then the bird said, "Nevermore."

Startled at the stillness broken by reply so aptly spoken,
"Doubtless," said I, "what it utters is its only stock and store,
Caught from some unhappy master whom unmerciful Disaster
Followed fast and followed faster till his songs one burden bore -
Till the dirges of his Hope that melancholy burden bore
Of 'Never - nevermore'."

But the Raven still beguiling all my fancy into smiling,
Straight I wheeled a cushioned seat in front of bird, and bust and door;
Then upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore -
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking "Nevermore."

The village of Goldsry is calm and quite, nestled deep in the mountains of some forgotten place. The people there are friendly, always giving to their neighbors and helping the community when they can. It’s a rather poor place, though. Some speculate that may be the reason everyone is so friendly. Everyone is untouched by the bitter thrill of a gold piece. Goldsry is also a town of myths and legends. Every family seems to have their own stories, though there is one common theme. The birds. Every fall around Goldsry, the skies darken as the town is invaded with hundreds of ravens. Some go as far to say that these birds are not normal, something about them is different, darker. There have even been tales of the ravens luring off small children.

No one knows if these tales are true… Well, unless they are one of the alleged children of the birds. Old Uma, the wise woman of the village, gathers the children around every year and tell them the same story about her daughter, Yanna, who was taken by the ravens when she was just a small girl, no more than eight. She had never seen her since, but instead, was visited by a raven each day, which would stoop on her fence and call to the house. Uma always said that the bird felt like Yanna, but she never got close enough to check. Each year, even growing into teenagers, the children would all run back to their homes, watching out the next days for the bird’s arrivals.

Now, the days of fall come again and all the children have been told to stay indoors at night, but it’s up to them whether they listen or not.
Epsilon
Epsilon
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum