The Underground
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snowed In!

+3
silent lark
V
Caribou
7 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Snowed In! Empty Snowed In!

Post by Truth Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:41 pm

The pass has closed up as it does every winter, but today is different. The roads are blocked by the heaviest snow in living memory and the lands around the ancestral Godwin stronghold are completely buried. Even venturing out into the streets is to test oneself to the limits against the elements. In a stone longhouse on the edge of the Godwin lands, your characters have been driven to ground by the blizzards outside and have holed up for the time being. You have a warm fire, rugs, tapestries and furniture, as well as dried meat, honey, and pickled vegetables – all foods designed to keep. There is an outhouse about thirty yards from the longhouse, so using the “facilities” is a fearsome struggle.
Starting in the house is unnecessary but starting nearby is pretty mandatory. Yes, this is a "use your own character" chat, it just happens to be set in surroundings suspiciously similar to my canon.
Truth
Truth
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Snowed In! Empty Re: Snowed In!

Post by Caribou Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:34 pm

Nathan shivered inside the patched and fading wool cloak he was wrapped in, uncomplaining of the distinct sheepy odor that rose from it. He squinted against the swirl of snow that obscured anything more than 30 yards ahead of him, even despite being perched atop the back of his newly acquired steed.

The spotted horse plowed dutifully through the drifts, apparently unconcerned with the fluffy white substance that reached almost to her belly. She was, however, growing tired- she had slowed down considerably and was now struggling through the deeper sections.

Nate reached out to pat her neck with one holey-mittened hand, murmuring encouragement and promises of warm hay and treats. One ear flicked back to listen, and she snorted in response- but otherwise, kept moving. He allowed her to go in the direction of her choosing, as he had absolutely no idea where they were or if there was even shelter nearby. He was relying on her keener instincts to guide them someplace safe from the wind and snow.

He winced inwardly. He had no desire to die of exposure, and neither did he wish to subject the poor animal to such a fate. No doubt she would have been tucked inside a nice, warm barn munching hay right now had his magic been cooperative. But no.

As per usual, the spell he intended to cast was not the one that happened- in fact, he wasn’t even exactly sure what had happened. He could sense the newly imprinted magics on the beast, the type usually associated with summon creatures- specifically that of a mount- but he hadn’t had any as of yet. He could only assume that somehow the spell had taken some random creature suitable for the job and made one. He sighed.

Suddenly the horse jerked to a stop, head up and ears perked. The action nearly sent him tumbling head-first over her neck, but he managed to cling tightly enough that he stayed on.
“What is it, hmm?” He righted himself, peering hard in the direction she was focused. He thought for a moment he could glimpse winks of light, but just as soon as the sight registered it was gone again, obscured by the wind-driven snowflakes.

For a long moment the animal was silent, her deep breaths the only thing heard save for the snow pattering against his clothes. Then just as suddenly as she’d come to a halt, she whinnied- the sound startling Nate and sending him sliding off of her back into the snow with a dull thump. Thankfully the snow was high enough that, with some effort of getting properly to his feet again, he could clamber back on with only minor trouble.

It was probably a good thing the snow was so deep. He had passable riding skills at best- and that was with a saddle and bridle. Falling off, as he had done several times already with quizzical glances from his new companion, was not nearly so bad. And getting back on was a relatively simple event.

The horse started off again, head up and ears perked forward as she suddenly regained vigor, plowing through the snow with more energy. Nate clung to her back and neck and simply hung on for the ride. Coming closer, he could now make out dark shapes through the screen of white, and hope rose in him as he and his steed approached.
Caribou
Caribou
New Recruit

http://figment.com/users/85891-Caribou

Back to top Go down

Post by Resonated Echo Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:45 am

CRACK!

I took my hands off my ears and opened my--holy crap it was freezing! I switched to fire in an instant, breathing a sigh of relief. Okay, so, status check...driving snow. Everywhere, nothing but snow. Visibility was all but nil. No wonder, then...

He was the only one who hadn't reported after the scatter, which was...worrying, to say the least... But if this was were he ended up, I guessed--or at least, I hoped--that explained some things. Because it must've been the snow, right? I mean, really, it had to have been, right? It made much more sense for it to have been the snow and not the Sybek.

Yeah...

Way more sense...

At any rate, seeing as he must've been here and not anywhere else, especially not an academy, I'd have to start looking.

Good luck with that... Sorrel (yeah, temporary name, whatever) thought. He climbed to the top of a snowdrift and looked around, amber eyes narrowed. I can barely see a thing here. How are we ever gonna find them?

Shut up, we will, I thought. We have to.

We were the only ones who could do it, too. Senet and Nike were both injured, and there weren't any other agents in the area who were free to help. I was on a waiting list, basically; as soon as another agent was able, they'd come assist. But not until then.

Looks like we'd better start on it, then. Sorrel flicked his tail. They'd better thank us for this.

Thank us? They'd better love us. I gave a short laugh, then started off into the blizzard.
Resonated Echo
Resonated Echo
New Recruit

https://theundergroundcc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Campaña Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:42 am

Why did it have to be snowing? Of everything in the world I hate, and there is a lot, I think snow has to be on the top of the list. Why of all the buggin' places the Light Lady could have sent me, did she choose to send me somewhere freezing?

I crouched down on the snow, tugging a leaf tighter to my head. My wings were too wet to move very well, making them about useless. Why the name of the Lady did I think it was a good idea to come here?

"You make a deal with the devil," I muttered. "And you take what you get."

The devil. I snorted, walking lightly on the surface of the snow. Right. The furthest I could get from the devil, probably. I mean, I'd asked for this. I wanted to see how things were, how I might have lived.

"I should have asked to be a reasonable size."

Talking to myself seemed to be the best idea by this point. Freezing to death was not on my list of things to do. My thin dress wasn't the warmest material, though. So I would have to make do. If it meant talking like a crazy lady, I'd take it. It also meant magic, which wasn't on my list of favorite things to use. Necessary, though, in these conditions.

Pausing again, I cupped my hands together and muttered a few words under my breath. For the skilled magic user, it was unnecessary. As rare as it was for me to use mine, though, it wasn't exactly a cup of tea. For what had to be the hundredth time since I stepped into this world, I felt a slow warmth spread over my body. Enough to cause shivers to rack it like crazy. My teeth chattering, I continued to curse my luck. Why couldn't I have ended up somewhere warm? The lady hated me, that's why.

"Screw you!"

You know what, cursing the Lady probably wouldn't do me any good. Instead I squinted my eyes, staring out into the storm. Seeing very far was practically impossible. This in mind, I began walking again.

"Buggin', Buggin', snow. Freaking cold flakes of ice that belong in buggin' hell."
Campaña
Campaña
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Resonated Echo Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:05 am

Sorrel looked attentive all of a sudden. Hey, do you see that?

No, I don't have aura-vision. I snorted.

Well, I see a little bit of life energy in the snow ahead. Maybe it's buried?

Oh! Lead the way, then!

I hurried after my cat as much as the snowdrifts would allow, but as I grew closer, I started to feel disheartened. Something wasn't right... This wasn't him. It wasn't big enough. In fact, this source of life energy was downright tiny.

Not so easy after all... I sighed.

...It's like a tiny person.

What?

This life. It's like a tiny person. I mean, it may just be all the snow in my eyes, but...

...I see a light. Whatever was up ahead had a vibrant, red glow. Alright, that's it. I'm figuring this out.

I started wading through the snow again, stumbling a little and struggling to get upright once more. I cupped my hands around my mouth and sucked in a deep breath.

"HELLO?" I called, hoping my voice wouldn't be drowned out by the wind. "HELLO?" It didn't really matter whether the life ahead could speak English; I'd just be happy if it could hear me at all.
Resonated Echo
Resonated Echo
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Campaña Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:48 pm

One of my legs had just sunk down into the snow when my ears picked up on some sort of noise. I froze, looking up and around. I'd just managed to spot a huge shape in the snow before me just as I caught the sound again. It must have been saying something.

I shook my head, frowning. It wouldn't' do any good to find someone and get stepped on. Tugging on my leg I managed to get it out, the sudden release sending me tumbling head over heels. Cursing I pulled myself to my feet, staring out into the storm again.

"Hello?" I called, making sure to make my voice as loud as I could.

The snow flakes were starting to build on me, now, since I'd lost my leaf awhile back. It'd grown to heavy to carry. I could only hope that this thing, whatever it was, was friendly. A particularly nice sized snowflake hit me in the face just as I thought I spotted something.

"Buggin' snow!"
Campaña
Campaña
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Resonated Echo Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Did you hear that? I asked.

Yeah, I think so...

Come on!

I tried to run now, which was hella hard, honestly. I tripped, got a faceful of snow, then got back up and kept running. I was almost to the light now.

"HELLO? CAN YOU HEAR ME?"
Resonated Echo
Resonated Echo
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Campaña Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Okay, definitely a close voice. This could be bad.

"I HEARD YOU!" I called out, frantically attempting to flutter my wings and failing. "BE CAREFUL. CAN YOU SEE ME?"

Being stepped on would be the perfect end to this buggin' trip.
Campaña
Campaña
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by V Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:15 pm

I'm not really sure what exactly happened. I thought I was just going to go fix a wire thingy for Mr.Face because he said to so I mean, you can't just... not listen to that, because you can't. ...But apparently... Closets didn't work that way today, and so I ended up in some weird other closet. Or something. I didn't really know. It was kind of dark here, wherever here was. I tried to find the door out because at least then maybe I could go back and say that there was maybe a critical closet failure and you needed someone with a lamp or some kind of flashlight app or something...

Finding a door took a while. I eventually found a knob around somewhere, but it felt like I wasn't facing the right way for the knob to home, so I didn't quite understand.

Some kind of warm bright light and soft stuff and like... Not the government building were there. Like... it had a ...a fire and some rugs and... I was actually kind of scared about the fire because was that safe, I mean what if the house burnt down and I got stuck here... but It kind of felt warm and not like scary fire but it was also kind of scary fire so I didn't know what to do. There were two guys there also which was really kind of weird and I didn't know what I was doing or what to say to them and really I had best probably just try to go back to Auda. I just walked past them for the moment because maybe I could disappear skillfully and not exist and it would all be ok.

There was another door that wasn't the door that I came out of so I decided to open that one. Maybe it went back to home. ...It led to white fluffy stuff. ...Like half up the door. And also this unrelenting backwards force of cold air that really confused me. ...I slammed the door shut and looked at the two guys again. "... ...er...so... hi...?" I said uncomfortably. Maybe I should have just tried to go back to the closet, but I talked first so now I probably couldn't unless I was crazy because who tries to go home in a closet, I mean really.

Last edited by V on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
V
V
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Resonated Echo Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:16 pm

"ARE YOU THE LITTLE LIGHT?"

I was right next to it now. Tentatively, I put my hand low next to it. If this were some kind of...tiny person, as crazy as that sounded, they'd definitely be wanting some protection from all this snow.

I was trying to keep an open mind. I knew there were other races as well as mixes of races, so maybe this was one of those...
Resonated Echo
Resonated Echo
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Campaña Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:54 pm

And then there was a hand. Any other time in the world I would have asked why the hell would anyone think I would step onto a random hand. But this was a special occasion. It was deal with the big hand or deal with the buggin' snow. I'd rather take my hands at getting squished to death.

"I'M NOT REALLY A LIGHT BUT I GUESS?" I said, climbing onto the hand.

Campaña
Campaña
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Resonated Echo Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:08 pm

I brought her closer to me, extending my latent ability to her.

"...Are you a fairy?" I asked, trying to not be surprised.
Resonated Echo
Resonated Echo
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Campaña Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:17 pm

"Not a fairy," I began, then paused as something occurred to me. My eyes got huge as I reconsidered this big person before me. "Did you just do magic?"

Not friggin' freezing anymore was a good thing, of course. But still... there had to be a reason.
Campaña
Campaña
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Resonated Echo Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:27 pm

"Well, it's not magic," I started, "but it's something pretty close. It's a natural ability." I paused. "Er, if you don't mind my asking, what exactly are you?"

She spoke English, so maybe she was just one of those part-aliens...?
Resonated Echo
Resonated Echo
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Campaña Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:41 pm

"Fay. Not fairy. Fay," I paused, considering what she'd said. "Natural ability? I don't remember humans having those."

I mean, I'd been gone for an awful long time... but... that didn't seem like something I would forget.
Campaña
Campaña
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Resonated Echo Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:06 pm

"Actually," I said, "all intelligent beings are capable of it. It's...kind of complicated, sort of? It has to do with becoming attuned to the connection you have with your soul."

Yeah, just...chatting with a Fay about souls in the middle of a blizzard. That's basically how my life is all the time.
Resonated Echo
Resonated Echo
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Truth Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Angfand looked at Njall across the table nearest the fire, trying not to stare at the mutton stew the latter was eating.
"I never knew you could cook so well," said Njall. "Aren't you going to have any?"
"I'm not hungry," replied Angfand, trying to ignore the clawing feeling in his gut. There was enough food for many men for a week, perhaps, but who knew how long they'd be trapped?
They watched in silence as an emaciated young man stumbled in through the door and proceeded to turn around and open the door again. Angfand spoke up.
"Are you lost, friend?"
Truth
Truth
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by V Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:29 pm

"...I... I, yeah... uh... I... do you know how to get back to Auda... from... from wherever this is...?" I asked uncertainly. At least they didn't look like cannibals... so that... that was ok. And they weren't Mr.Face... which is also good.

I stayed near the door, uncertain as to whether it was completely safe to be here or if I was going to be in trouble or not or what. It was a bit scary. Though... so was the freaky white stuff. "...what was the white stuff... outside the door...?" I added after a minute.
V
V
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Truth Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:33 pm

Njall stopped eating at that last remark and stared at Angfand. It was Angfand who spoke first.
"The white stuff would probably be snow. It's all we seem to get around here at this time of year. And as for where 'here' is, you are in the lands of Kraf Godwin, one of the Krafs from a line that married with foreigners."
"Auda..." said Njall. "Sounds like one of the Kob Cho cities. Is it anywhere near Dzan Kobat?"
Truth
Truth
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by V Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:40 pm

I was really confused now. What was a Kob Cho? Where was Dzan Kobat? What did those words even MEAN? I looked at them kind of oddly for a moment. "...uhm... no? It's... it's on Erf... six hours away from SInk Pump, on... On Procrasti?" I tried to explain. I didn't know what to do with the information about snow at the moment, but figured that maybe it was dangerous because they were inside and it was like... very fooshy and kind of wet out there and probably not sanitary or something.
V
V
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Truth Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:44 pm

Angfand chuckled. "Erf? Similar to Earth? That's where you are right now."
Njall looked more thoughtful, despite still chewing a lump of mutton. "I've not heard of any of those places. I'll fetch a map and we can have a look."
Placing the bowl on the table, he stood up and headed over to a large wooden chest and removed a large, rolled-up piece of animal hide.
"This should be the right map." He nodded at the stew. "Do you want to finish that?"
Truth
Truth
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by V Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:51 pm

"Uhm... I... I don't think it's Earth, no... uhm... but I mean if you wanna check..." I said as I watched the other guy go get a map. ...He offered me food. ...Was... was that allowed? Could... could I really have that? I mean... it was my turn to eat today... so... maybe? "...I... I... sure. uhm... thank you..." I said quickly, and tried the bowl of what looked like some kind of super chunky soup. It had all kinds of weird stuff I'd never eaten in it before, but it was kind of warm and good.
V
V
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Truth Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:56 pm

Njall tapped the eastern border of Skatha with one finger. "This is where we are." He traced a line down to Dzan Kobat, hundreds of miles south and west. "And this is Dzan Kobat." He carried on looking around. "I can't see {Procrasti anywhere on here at all."
"Huh," grunted Angfand. "Sounds made up."
Truth
Truth
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by V Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:02 pm

"It's... it's not... I promise... uhm. I live there. ...I'm ...uhm... it's kind of made of suck, and... and it never actually... like... stops raining... and everything is on fire... and... uh... the government building is there... and..." I struggled to figure out how I could make them see that it was real. Because it was real and I wanted to go back there because I had to so I wouldn't accidentally and have Mr.Face try to rip my teeth out. ...That... that would be bad...
V
V
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Truth Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:05 pm

"It's no problem, friend," said Njall. "I believe you. I've seen stranger things before."
Angfand gritted his teeth. He loved Njall like a brother. Closer, even, but he still questioned Njall's ability to function in the real world. "You'd better not be lying."
Truth
Truth
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum