The Underground
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Hunger Games

Go down

The Hunger Games Empty The Hunger Games

Post by Jay Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:18 pm

Yes, the hunger Games. A wildly popular book series and whatnot. Before you read any further, know that it is required for you to have at least read the first book. Otherwise you might be confused by all the details behind this story.

Basically, there were thirteen districts and one Capitol. The districts rebelled against the Capitol, but the Capitol won, and obliterated District 13 in the process. Every year the Capitol hosts a ‘Hunger Games’, where two tributes from each of the twelve districts are sent to an arena to fight to the death on live television. A girl and a boy, between the ages of twelve and eighteen. Only one kid out of all twenty four comes out alive. The Hunger Games is there to remind the people that the Capitol still rules, and sort of as a threat to say, “We can send your children to the death. This is how much power we have…do not rebel again.” Or something.

I’m guessing most of you know the story. The brave story of Katniss Everdeen, the girl on fire. But this story will be your own to shape. Maybe your character will be a Career, the brutal children of districts one and two who train for the Games their whole lives. Maybe your character will be from the poor outline districts, 10, 11, and 12. Or maybe they’ll just be somewhere in the middle, or could be a volunteer to save their family or friend from an imminent arena death for the amusement of the Capitol. It’s your choice.

I’d like to have this chat start of at the beginning of the actual Games. I know that the post games stuff is important, but all of that is too complicated and too in depth to put into a character chat. So, your tribute(s) will mostly replay what happened before the arena in their thoughts, or have memories and flashbacks of it all. I would really find it cool to do the post game ceremonies, but there is just too much and way too many characters from the book involved in that…so meh. And feel free to come up with a mentor and stylists for your characters. Other characters like Caesar Flickerman, Seneca Crane the Gamemaker, and President Snow can also probably be mentioned if you really feel like it. But most of this will probably be centered around the killing, since this isn’t the book and the kids probably don’t care about rebelling.

Oh, and yes, the killing. The thing that I’m skeptical about is that. Remember, these are just kids. A lot are going to die. Only one will survive. And I really hope there is a fight or argument about who is going to win…let us just go with this, and see how it ends up. Go into this chat expecting to have a charrie be killed off.

Here is a list of all the districts and a brief explanation of them, to help jog your memory. The district your character is from will greatly impact their skills, mindset, name, and personality. So choose wisely.
(All descriptions copypastad from The Hunger Games wiki.)

District 1

"District 1 makes the luxury goods that decorate and beautify our great Capitol. Its excellent taste and craftsmanship keep Capitol residents bewigged and bedazzled year-round."
―Description from The Hunger Games: Tribute Guide

District 1 is one of the wealthiest districts of Panem. Its primary industry is manufacturing luxury items for the Capitol. Some of them include diamonds and most likely other precious gems. It seems that names in this district are names of precious items, which may be a reflection on their "glamorous" nature and demeanor. Children in District 1 almost always seem to take pride in competing in the Games, and are among the group of tributes that band together to pick off the weak, called the Careers.

Boy: (open)
Girl: (open)

District 2

"Our nation would be nothing without District 2's superb stonework. It builds and fortifies our cities and its citizens are known individually for their strength."

District 2 is one of the 12 districts of Panem. It is where most of the Peacekeepers are trained and weapons are manufactured, but originally specialized only in mining and stone cutting. Publicly it is presented as the nation's stone quarries, just as District 13 was known for graphite mining. After the first rebellion, District 2 was rewarded with better treatment from the Capitol and better living conditions for their citizens. It is in the Rocky Mountains, near the Capitol itself. The district is made up of many small villages, each based around a mine. Although they get preferential treatment from the Capitol, the quarry workers suffer as much as any other district, and the district as a whole is not excluded from the annual Hunger Games.

District 3

"Panem is one of the most advanced nations in mankind's history, thanks to the efforts of District 3. Its computers keep us all connected and its electronic gadgets keep us all entertained."

District 3's main industry is technology. They specialize in televisions and computers. Before the rebellion it was one of the richest districts in Panem. In Catching Fire during the victory tour, Katniss notices this is one of the districts along with 8 and 4 that shows the most happiness to see her, suggesting that they are one of the more rebellious districts. It is implied in Catching Fire that their citizens lived in abject poverty, as they were one of the first districts to start an uprising. Most of its inhabitants work in factories and are very well adept with engineering. The bread from this district is bite-sized square-shaped rolls.

District 4

"Do you like seafood? Shrimp and crabmeat? Often overlooked, District 4 plays an essential role, bringing us the bounty of the sea. These citizens are adept with nets and tridents, and can swim like fish themselves."

District 4 is one of the wealthier districts of Panem. Its industry is fishing, which is useful for tributes in the Games as they have experience in using nets and tridents, making fishhooks from scratch, swimming, and identifying edible sea life. In Catching Fire Katniss notices during her victory tour that District 4, along with 3 and 8, seems happy to see her, suggesting that it is a rebellious district.

Being one of the wealthier districts, District 4 tends to produce Career Tributes who volunteer to participate in The Hunger Games. This is also the case for Districts 1 and 2. These children are raised to win the Games, making them stronger and much more capable of winning than the average tribute. The bread is a salty, fish-shaped loaf, tinted green by seaweed. Their source of income is fishing.

Boy: (Violet)
Girl: (Campana)

District 5

"Electric, solar, and nuclear - District 5 harnesses the energy of the earth and the sky in order to power our great nation."

District 5 is one of the twelve districts of the country Panem. Though never mentioned in the books, according to the official movie promotional page Capitol.Pn, this district's industry is power and electricity. Therefore, this district is responsibly for generating the power of the entire nation.

Judging from the information on the official Hunger Games movie promotional site, District 5 has a low number of children claiming tesserae.

(There is not much on this district, but it is where Foxface is from. o if your charrie is from here I guess they could be a stealthy thief like her, and well adapted to nature, but they probs won't be too strong)

District 6

"Our hovercraft, our high-speed trains, and our cargo trains come to us from District 6. Ironically, the citizens here have little love for travel."
―Description from The Hunger Games: Tribute Guide[

District 6 is one of the 12 districts of Panem. Though never mentioned in the books, according to the official movie promotional page "Capitol.Pn", this district's principal industry is transportation. It was heavily bombed by the Capitol's Air Forces during the Second Rebellion. District 6 is also known to be very unstable, and could be several times larger than even Districts 11 or 2.

(Not much here either. But the morphlings from the second book are from here, so there might be a small drug problem, hence the unstableness in the description.)

District 7

"This beautiful district is lush with trees, from which these citizens supply our lumber and paper. The people of District 7 are hardworking and down-to-earth."

District 7 is one of the districts of the nation Panem. District Seven provides lumber for the Capitol, and the tributes of District 7 are known to be good with axes. District 7 is apparently covered in large portions of pine forest as Johanna Mason comments that pine needles "smell like home". According to Johanna, the tributes have been dressing up as trees for as long as they had their stylists.

Boy: (Violet)

District 8

"From the simple, lovely fabrics of the districts to the brocades favoured in the Capitol, District 8 makes it all."

District 8 is one of the districts of Panem. Its principal industry is the production of textiles and clothing. They have at least one factory that is primarily used for making Peacekeeper uniforms. Incomes in District 8 must be fairly low, as Twill mentions that she puts in a four hour shift in a Peacekeeper Uniform factory after her full time job as a teacher. Bonnie, a child, also mentions putting in a four hour shift after she gets out of school. District 8 must also be in a cold place because Twill mentions the factory she works in as cold. On page 142 of Catching Fire, Katniss describes District 8 "as an ugly, urban place stinking of industrial fumes, the people housed in run down tenaments, barely a blade of grass in sight".

Boy: (Campana)

District 9

"District 9 is Panem's bread bowl, giving us the fertile harvest we need to keep rising as a nation. Its amber waves or grain are an inspiration to us all."

District 9 is one of the 12 districts of Panem. Though the industry of the district was never mentioned in the books, according to the movie's promotional page "Capitol.Pn", it is the district responsible for grain. It is mentioned once that District 9 has many factories, possibly for grain processing.

Girl:(open)

District 10

"The gentle lowing of cattle is the first thing a visitor to District 10 hears. This region raises strong, healthy livestock, which becomes the meat that helps us raise strong, healthy children of Panem."

District 10 is one of the districts of Panem. Though only hinted at in the books, according to the promotional movie website "Capitol.Pn", this district's main industry is livestock, such as cattle to provide beef for the Capitol.

(...wheeeeere's the beef? Hehe.)

District 11

"Known for its bountiful orchards, District 11's workers spend their days among rustling fruit trees and sizeable farms."
―Description from The Hunger Games: Tribute Guide[src]

District 11 is one of the poorer districts, right after District 12 in the nation of Panem. Their job is agriculture; orchards, fields of grain, and cotton surround the district. Almost everything they grow goes to the Capitol, despite their starvation; if any Citizen of District 11 is caught eating any of the crops, they are to be whipped in public. Its inhabitants are described as having dark brown skin.

Girl: (Violet)

District 12

"One of the outer districts, this is nonetheless a crucial one. These brave and hardy workers descend deep into the earth each day to mine the coal that keeps our nation running."

District 12 was one of the poorest, most ridiculed districts in the nation of Panem. Located in the Appalachian Mountains, and with a population of around 8,000 people, District 12 specialized in coal mining.[1] District 12 had not won the Games for many years prior to The Hunger Games, when Haymitch Abernathy, an alcoholic and an embarrassment to the district, won the 50th Annual Games, or the second Quarter Quell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

All righty! There we go. Now, basic rules. NO PPING OR GMING. IT'S RUDE, PEOPLE.

And if there is a quarrel or indecision over which character will win, then I'll just make it so that some random, unnamed character win. This chat will probably end as soon as there is one person left, and they are taken away by hovercraft~ If we even get that far, that is.

The arena will be the same arena in the first book, by the way. Big, lush green forest, one big river, cornucopia in the middle. Tracker jackers, jabberjays, all that jazz.
Please PM me if you want to join, along with which district slots you will be taking.

May the odds be ever in your favour. ...yes, I just had to put that. Yay Effie~

Jay
Jay
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

The Hunger Games Empty Re: The Hunger Games

Post by Jay Mon May 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Murdock

So. Here I am.
The seventy fourth annual Hunger Games. I'm actually here, on one of those platforms I usually only see on TV back in District Four.
This is what I trained for. I'm no Career, but I'm winning this thing no matter what.

The sun beats down on all of us, causing the cornucopia to look even brighter. There are trees all around, plenty of cover. Got to storm in, take the best things in the very middle, and kill anyone in my way.

It's nothing personal. Just the Games.

My face takes on a cocky grin as I look around at my competition. All these kids are going to die. Even the girl from my District, who's name I forgot.

My emerald green eyes flicker back to the cornucopia, fists clenching in anticipation. There's the countdown.

I get in a running stance, ready to bolt off that platform when the counter will get to zero, a memory managing to claw its way to my mind.

The Capitol woman had announced a boys name. An older, eighteen year old boy.
He had begun his walk to the stage, a smirk forming onto his lips. Obviously a Career boy. Bred to go and win the Games.

The woman smiled sweetly as he approached, her lime grin wig as big as a pumpkin, her ridiculous, frilly blue dress swaying with the wind.

"Wait." I said, quickly making my way through the crowd, my arm raising. "I volunteer."

People gasped. The Capitol woman did a dramatic turn to the cameras. The Career boy looked pissed off, all because of the simple fisherman who wanted to take his place.

"...and what is your name, sweetie?" the woman said with a smile, nudging the Career boy aside.

"...Murdock Green."

"Lovely name! Come on up, then!"

So I walked to the stage, the Careers scowling and glaring. I had taken my place next to the female tribute when the Capitol lady started congratulating us on how 'lucky' we were to be competing, and how the odds may be ever in our favour.

I frown at the memory, eyes never moving from the cornucopia; the center of the clearing. Yes, I had surprised people. Taking the place of a Career like that.

I didn't tell anyone why I did it. Not even Caesar Flickerman, who practically begged me. No one would understand anyway.

So I glare at that shining metal structure, and at all the things inside of it.

Lilli

I shouldn't be here...I really shouldn't. I don't want to be here! Maybe I should just...step off the platform, let the bombs take me. It's tempting, but...I'm not ready to die.

I rub my arms nervously, ready to flee to the trees once the countdown finishes.
Why does twenty seconds seem like forever?

At least there are trees...trees remind me of home. Of my mum. My daddy. And my old brother and little baby sis.

Tears well up in my soft brown eyes at the thought, and I quickly run a hand through my blonde hair, trying to push them away. I'm only thirteen, but...I can be strong. Thirteen year olds have won this before.

I look over the things at the mouth of the cornucopia, a small backpack catching my eye.
...Well, I need something. My original plan was to go hide in the trees, 'cause I'm good in a forest. But...trees alone won't hide me forever.
So I force my body to calm down, letting out a breath as I keep myself focused on that one backpack.

Autumn

I cross my arms and purse my lips, trying to block out the countdown guy's voice. I can't believe I am actually here...all those days lazing around and picking apples seem like a distant dream.

I'm scared. Really scared. Sure, I got some training, but...the Hunger Games? I'm not sure if I'm ready for this.

When they picked my name...I felt so helpless. There's no way out of it. It's just plain cruel.

I pick at my curly black hair, chocolate brow eyes scanning the pile of stuff. A bow. I can do a bow, maybe a small sword. Never been good at close combat, and most of these guys look pretty strong, where as I'm a skinny sixteen year old who's much better at sports than...killing.

Time to woman up. I ain't gonna give up to these people. I'm going to win for my District.

Jay
Jay
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum